Epic Time

SanskAI

Administrator
Staff member
The Bhiṣmaparvan of the Mahābhārata (4–12) contains an entire depiction of the cosmos, which involves the beginnings of the devotional, or bhakti, tradition. So too the Śantiparvan introduces the idea of the division of time into kalpas and yugas, as does the Manu Smṛti, one of the more well-known legal Dharmaśāstric texts developed during this time. The epic texts also introduce explicit teachings on the doctrine of the avatāras, or "descents" of god. These avatāras appear at various points when time has lost its power to fight the demons and to restore the dharma, or moral order, of the universe. As early as the great Bhagavadgītā, or "Song of the Lord," contained in the Mahābhārata, Kṛṣṇa apparently refers to the notion of time and to the integration of the idea of the avatāra with that of the descending ages, or yugas. As Kṛṣṇa puts it: Son of Bhārata, whenever there is a decline in dharma, and the absence of dharma increases, I create Myself. I come into being from age to age with the purpose of fixing dharma —as a refuge for those who do good and as a doom for those who do wrong. (4:7–8; in Patton, 2005)